Supreme may Propose : Technology will Dispose
Last week , I sent following emails to the Supreme Court [ SupremeCourt@nic.in ] :
- Privacy ? Perish the Thought ! ( 19 July )
While debating whether our Constitution does ( or does not ) provide for an individual citizen’s RIGHT to PRIVACY , it becomes necessary to also debate the following :
- Should larger “ Societal Good “ prevail over an individual’s right to privacy – especially if no violation of dignity is involved ?
- If I am unable to stop junk advts arriving in my physical mail box ( pamphlets / literature ) , should I feel offended with email such as :
“ Hey ! Since you are sending so many emails to Nandan Nilekani , would you like to read his book , “ Re-imagining India “ ? “
- Can the world-wide March of Technology be stopped by India’s Supreme Court
by dictating , who cannot “ invent “ , what ?
Eg : Without explicit permission from the person concerned :
# Smart phones which read human dreams and “message “ to WhatsApp group
# Spectacles ( ala Google Glass ) which allow wearer to take 1 hr videos of
anyone / anytime , walking on the road and upload on the CLOUD
# Wrist bands which measure precise drug level in blood and alert the Police
# Shirt-mounted Cameras worn by Mumbai Police to capture video / audio of
# RFID collars around the necks of prisoners on parole , to track their
# Currency Notes made of flexible / conducting Plastic , capable of capturing the
finger-prints of every person who handles it and then relaying that info to
Income Tax department
# TV sets that “ record and transmit “ , what you are watching ( like web site
cookies ) . All you did was to switch on the TV . Who said anything about
# Clothes that you forgot to wear for 6 months , announcing their own “ sale “
on E bay website (and , without asking your permission , revealing what
private under-clothes you wear , to entire world ! )
Read : Help ! Please , Rescue me !
- Can our Supreme Court tell :
# Zuckerberg > Don’t deploy drones -lasers, beaming internet signals to Indians
# Sundar Pichai > Scrap you Project LOON / Project Skybender ( 5G internet )
# ViaSat / Boeing > No beaming of 1Gbps internet from satellites to Indians
# SpaceX / Virgin Galactic > Keep your revolutionary internet tech to yourself
# Prof Jhunjhunwala ( IIT-M ) > Do not license , your invention that delivers
Internet signals using ordinary 220V domestic electrical outlet – to Indians
# Satya Nadela > You are clearly invading Privacy of Indians by launching your
Mobile App “ Seeing AI “ , described below :
“ Seeing AI “ can identify things in your environment – people , objects and
Even EMOTIONS – to provide important context for what’s going on around
you . The app is also good at reading text . It can be used to take a picture
of the text .
THE APP CAN TELL YOU WHETHER OR NOT PEOPLE ARE REALLY LISTENING
TO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING
IT CAN DESCRIBE THE GENERAL AGE AND GENDER OF THE
PEOPLE AROUND YOU AS WELL AS THEIR EMOTIONS
- Can our Supreme Court prevent foreign companies – and foreign individuals ( over whom , it has no jurisdiction ) – from entering into “ Delivery Contracts “ with Indian Citizens to deliver “ Services or even Goods “ , over the Internet ? – contracts requiring that Indian Citizen to surrender his PERSONAL / PRIVATE information willingly – and agreeing that the same can be used in ANYWAY ! )
- If such Foreign Companies ( or Individuals ) were to obtain from those Indian Citizens , a “ Waiver “ for all / any kind of litigation / damages , can Indian Judiciary still intervene and prosecute such Foreign Companies / Individuals ?
How many will you sue ? And where ?
- And what about PRIVATE / PERSONAL information about Indian Citizens , already available on the internet that ANYONE can scrap and even sell to others ?
To know the extent of this issue , in Google , just type :
“ Database Vendors in India “ ( Which of these 58.4 LAKH , will you sue ? )
- What about PERSONAL / PRIVATE information that tomorrow’s ( – already here ! ) technology will “ ACQUIRE WITHOUT ASKING “ , an individual’s permission ?
While debating these LARGER ISSUES ( – which will decide whether RIGHT TO PRIVACY , is implementable or not ), I urge the Honourable Judges to consider the following :
- Microsoft / Google / Amazon etc have started selling devices ( ASSISTANTS ) , which sit on your desk and answer many of your ( so far , simple ) questions and carry out ( so far , simple ) instructions,
These have started OBSERVING your every movement and LISTENING to your every SPOKEN WORD and relaying to the CLOUD !
It is only a matter of time before EVERY SMART PHONE sold in the market , is capable of all of these things – and MORE ! ( Eg : reading your THOUGHTS and relaying to CLOUD !
Pl read :
· Already, Mobile Apps come embedded with AI powered ALGORITHMS , which tell you :
# What to BUY – and from WHERE
# The right TIME to invest , HOW much and in WHICH equity / investment
( – without asking you to provide your PRIVATE / PERSONAL information )
· By next year , you will be able to buy a REFRIGERATOR , which will place orders for food ( of course , without asking you ) on your Super Market , based on keen observation of your EATING HABITS ( – some would consider , PRIVATE ? )
Who knows , before long , that computer database of the Super Market ( which
has stored all of your food preferences ) , will deliver food without your fridge
ordering – and even recommend to your friends , what you have been eating !
I have no doubt that in the years to come , our devices / appliances will take over
more and more decisions of our life , just by observing us 24*7 !
· Self Driving cars will come to a sudden stop if you happen to cross the road and save your life,