It is Catching On !
DNA ( 06 Dec ) carries following news :
“ Fadnavis cracks whip on babus, sets key goals for Dec 2019 “
And the goals are :
- Construction of 4 lakh houses
- Implementation of Make In India projects worth Rs 8 lakh*crore
- Develop skills in 42 million persons by 2022
- Enhance vegetation in urban land areas by 15 %
Only a few days back , Press Information Bureau , released following note on Nutrition Mission :
[ http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=174025 ]
Cabinet approves setting up of National Nutrition Mission
Implementation strategy and targets:
Implementation strategy would be based on intense monitoring and Convergence Action Plan right up to the grass root level.
NNM will be rolled out in three phases from 2017-18 to 2019-20.
NNM targets to,
- reduce stunting, under-nutrition, anemia (among young children, women and adolescent girls) and,
- reduce low birth weight by 2%, 2%, 3% and 2% per annum
- Although the target to reduce Stunting is at least 2% p.a., Mission would strive to achieve reduction in Stunting from 38.4% (NFHS-4) to 25% by 2022
Quantifying “ goals / targets “ to be achieved by a “ given date “ and then measuring the “ performance “ of officers responsible based on “ actual achievement “ , is a true paradigm shift in GOVERNANCE
I wish to congratulate Shri Fadnavis , for implementing my following suggestion ( sent to Shri Jaitleyji on 04 Dec 2014 ) :
BUDGETING BY OBJECTIVES
Dear Shri Jaitley ,
Come Feb 2015 and you will present your Budget in Lok Sabha
You will allocate thousands of crores of rupees to different ministries , for spending during 2015-16
You may even increase / decrease their allocations based on , to what extent ( % ) did they manage to actually ” spend ” their current year’s allocations
The one and only emphasis is on ” spending ” !
As usual , no MP will ask :
” But , what exactly did the Minister concerned achieve by spending this money ?
What physical / measureable targets did the Minister succeed in reaching / exceeding , with that money ? Where / What are the OUTPUTS ?
Why is it that no targets were set in advance , before the start of the year ?
How come , Minister was allowed to shoot first and then draw concentric circles around the hole afterwards ( at the end of the year ) , to claim BULL’S EYE ? ”
In private sector , shareholders / bankers do not hesitate to sack the CMD / MD / CEO , if he fails to deliver on promised profit
Then , why are Ministers allowed to retain their posts ( – or even get kicked upstairs ! ), despite failing to deliver ?
Dear Shri Jaitley :
MPs should know that YOU cannot answer these questions , simply because , at the time of the Budget Exercise , no physical OUTPUTS got fixed for each Minister
What did get fixed , were only EXPENDITURE TARGETS !
Simply because MPs passed the Budget without fixing targets such as following for 31 March 2015 :
* FINANCE MINISTER
* GDP ….. 6 % ………… [ 10 % improvement ]
* CAD…….( – ) 5 % …..[ 20 % improvement ]
* COMMERCE MINISTER
* Exports…….. $ 350 Billion …. [ 10 % improvement ]
* FDI…………..$ 50 Billion…… [ 20 % improvement ]
* RAILWAY MINISTER
* Lengths of Tracks…… 125,000 Km….. [ Up by 10 % ]
* No of Passenger Trains / day….. 10,000… [ Up by 10 % ]
* HEALTH MINISTER
* Chronic Hunger and Hunger Related Deaths
8 Million / year ……………………………… [ Down by 20 % ]
* Under-nourished people….. 200 million….. [ Down by 10 % ]
* SOCIAL WELFARE MINISTER
* Dowery Deaths / year……. 8,000…… …… [ Down by 10 % ]
* People without Toilets…….. 500 Million…. [ Down by 20 % ]
* AGRICULTURE MINISTER
* Farmers Suicide/ year….. .. 14,000…………… [ Down by 20 % ]
* Food Grain rotting / year….. 5 Million tons….. [ Down by 20 % ]
So on and so forth for each Minister
Some Caution / Suggestions :
* Ignore the numbers given above. I could be factually wrong
* Focus on the concept of ” Management by Objectives ”
* Overcome the fear of ” failure to meet the targets “.
* Overcome the fear of ” being ridiculed ” !
* Don’t chop off the neck that dares to stick out !
* Only failure is , not fixing the targets !
* Actual vs Targeted achievements must be measured , on an ongoing
basis , by totally independent THIRD PARTY agencies
Ministers / Finance Minister and these Agencies , must agree in advance , how the
Agencies will go about ” measuring ” the Actual Achievements
The method of measurement must be transparent and well publicized
Agencies shall have no role in fixing of Annual Targets
That is best done by the Prime Minister – the CEO , MakeInIndia
* There must be at least 10 performance parameters for each Minister
* Parameters themselves could be selected / prioritized , based on an
ONLINE PUBLIC SURVEY / OPINION POLL , from Govt web site
* If conducting such an ONLINE POLL for the forthcoming budget is
too late , same could be done on a printed form , by current MPs /
MLAs / Rajya Sabha Members
* Results of the SURVEY / POLL , must be published
07 Dec 2017
www.hemenparekh.in / blogs